Old 21-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Getting rid of ground elder

Cathy wrote in message
How do you get rid of ground elder's network of tough roots to be able
to plant spring flowering bulbs in a bed? Can I use soemthing like
Roundup, and will it get rid of the roots? Must it be applied while
the ground elder has all its leaves (I rather zealously zipped them
all, so if it does, I will have to wait till they show up again...)
How long after a Roundup application can I plant the spring bulbs, and
how long more do I have to plant them in time to get flowers next
spring?

Roundup would and does work, but as you suspect it needs green leaves to
enable it to do it's job. You would also probably need more than one
application to do a thorough job. The herbicide gets down to the roots and
kills them too.
Once the herbicide is dry on the plants you could plant underneath, few
hours say.
I've seen Dafs planted at Christmas make flowers the following spring.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.