Old 24-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Rich Conley

Default Building a pond with a window

Fish tank manufacturers tend to go much thicker than this, simply because if
you went like this, even a car going by outside could blow the glass. 55 Gallon
tanks (21 inches high) use 3/8 to 1/2 inch glass. For 36 inches, I would go 3/4
to 1 inch glass.

The aquarium near me uses 2 inch acrylic for their 4 foot tall tanks.

Snooze wrote:

"T" wrote in message
link.net...

I can't imagine the disappointment if the window somehow had a blow out..

think I would cry watching all of my expesive fish shooting out getting

cut
up heading for dry dock on my lawn...

At 3ft, the pressure on the glass isn't that great. 1 cubic inch of water
weighs 0.0361274 pounds. Multiply that by 36, and you get 1.3 psi at 3ft.
Quarter inch glass could safely handle the pressure.

Not sure if it would handle accidentally being kicked, having a soccer ball
being kicked at it, etc etc. One of the biggest problems I see, is properly
sealing the transition from brick to window.

Sameer