Old 29-11-2003, 10:04 AM
P Verstege

Default Burning out tree roots

(Steve Harris) wrote in message ...
I don't know about burning out conifer but I tried it with Sycamore. I
tried various ignition methods including building a hot bonfire over the
stump. It doesn't work - you get a harder slightly smaller black stump.

What did work was to excavate around the stump and then drill numerous
holes through the stump as far sown as possible. Then I snapped it off
and filled in the hole. a Lot of work and only a small stump.

But what if Iwant to plant another tree there? Will the rotted
(rotting?) roots kill off any new roots? That's why I was thinking of
burning them out - so I can clear the ground for something else

Thanks for all other answers too.

Chad.