Old 29-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Burning out tree roots

"P Verstege" wrote in message
om...
(Steve Harris) wrote in message

I don't know about burning out conifer but I tried it with Sycamore. I
tried various ignition methods including building a hot bonfire over the
stump. It doesn't work - you get a harder slightly smaller black stump.

What did work was to excavate around the stump and then drill numerous
holes through the stump as far sown as possible. Then I snapped it off
and filled in the hole. a Lot of work and only a small stump.

But what if Iwant to plant another tree there? Will the rotted
(rotting?) roots kill off any new roots?

The difference between beech sand and good garden soil is that the latter
has a large percentage of rotting and rotten organic material and the former
is just sand.

[snip]

Franz