Old 29-11-2003, 05:30 PM
John Rouse

Default Burning out tree roots

In article , P Verstege
writes
Hello. I chopped down a huge overgrown conifer, leaving a stump about
10" high and obviously a lot of roots. It is in an awkward spot so
grinding it out is not an option. I was thinking about burning it and
the roots out. However, there are a few other well-established trees
around that spot, and you can probably see where I'm going here. I'll
spell out my question anyway:

In burning out the roots of my felled conifer, is there a risk of
burning all the other live tree roots in the vicinity?

My neighbour tells me that the previous occupant of my house felled some
quite large trees down the side of the house. He soaked the stumps in
saltpetre and set them alight. Every couple of weeks the fire-brigade
had to turn out to extinguish the blaze where the stumps had flared up
again.

John
--
John Rouse