Old 19-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Frogleg

Default What do I do with paperwhites after they bloom?

On 18 Jan 2004 10:23:13 -0800, (Marissa)
wrote:

My paperwhites have bloomed I want to plant them, but not sure if it
is safe to yet. If not, how do I store them and do I cut off the
green leaves?

Paperwhites originated in southern (Mediterranean) Europe. Many of the
bulbs available for forcing are grown in Israel. They are marginally
"hardy" outdoors in zone 8 (or warmer). They *can* be grown as a
houseplant, much like Amaryllis, but in most US hardiness zones, they
struggle, fail to bloom, and disappear. For repeated bloom, buy new
bulbs for forcing next year.

BTW, one main function of bulb foliage is to gather strength for next
year's growth and bloom. In general, bulb foliage should not be
trimmed or removed until it's brown and done with its work.