Old 24-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Swoop

Default Boundary Shrubs, suggestions please.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:31:35 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Martin Sykes
writes

"Swoop" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I will hopefully soon be moving to a new house with nice south facing
views from the rear garden. Outside the boundary the ground slopes
seeply down a 10 ft bank to a public footpath below. For some reason
the builders have placed the boundary fence approx. 3 feet back from
the start of the slope, so I have thoughts of secretly planting some
shrubs along this 3ft strip ouside my boundary fence,

a. To secretly extend my garden.
b. To discourage any intruders from the footpath climbing the slope.

However I don't want it to look too obvious that I have planted them
there or want them to grow too high to obstruct the view.

I sympathise with the OP's desire.

But the public also has a pov. A footpath is going to be safer if it
doesn't have masses of vegetation for undesirables to lurk in, so I'm
not totally convinced that planting the slope is a positive step.

Otoh, wildlife would probably prefer that the slop was planted!

I'd suggest sticking to british natives - they will look less as if
they've been deliberately planted - guelder rose, wild rose, honeysuckle
for example. You'll have to keep them trimmed if you don't want them too
high.

Yes and the other side of the footpath is also sloped leading to a
wooded area, so it would make the environment look more natural than
if the slope my side was just left bare.

Thanks