Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Grinch

Default Sulphur Candle?

I can remember as a child of 12 after becoming very interested with
gardening I persuaded my father to buy a greenhouse (40 years ago)
Dad & me were very successful in growing tomatoes but one year I detected
that all was not well & there was a disease problem (probably a virus or
something as they were growing in the boarder).
After reading in a gardening book the merits of using a sulphur candle I
persuaded him to buy one & I lit the candle with the plants in the
greenhouse.
OH DEAR the following day DISASTER - not just diseased plants but dead
plants & inedible fruits.
We live & learn!!

Oddly enough since then I have not seen sulphur candles very often in
nurseries usually only the smoke cones.
However, I noticed them on the shelf of my local nursery this year - maybe
they have come back to haunt me :-)

Oddly enough since then I have
"SH" wrote in message
Apologies if I offended you, but if you follow the thread of my opening
questions "How good are they for sterilizing a greenhouse. Will it kill

off
both pests & diseases / fungus spores?" there has been little response to

my
specific questions.
Yes I have used Jeyes only in the past but I feel that whilst it does a

good
job it is not as thorough as fumigation. I used Jeyes in the Autumn as

belt
and braces before the growing season starts again I felt fumigation was

the
answer hence my questions.

"Rod" wrote in message
SH wrote:

Ok.
It's a bit like pulling teeth trying to get an answer. If there are

better
ways - pray tell me.

This is a self help group not a free advice bureau so I suggest you

phrase
your
questions accordingly. Google 'Greenhouse cleaning' will give you the

advice of
the RHS on the subject as well as sites offering cleaning materials from

the
traditional Jeyes/Armillatox tar oil preparations to more

user/environment
friendly alternatives - you choose.

--
Rod