Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Bob

Default Milky Spore Application?

"Charles Balan" wrote in message
. ..
Hey,
And what is the best applicator to spread the Milky Spore? And

where
can I buy it for the cheapest price?

Thanks,
Charles

I didn't use the spreadable Milky Spore, since it wasn't out when I
applied it about 5 years ago. I have 10K square feet of grass in our
yard and an equal amount of natural area, so for me using the original
(i.e., non-spreadable) product was the way to go.

I didn't buy their stick applicator. Instead, I used a piece of PVC
pipe about 1" inside diameter and maybe 3 1/2' long. I taped an old
funnel to the top and used a spoon to drop an appropriate amount down
the tube. This let me keep the milky spore fairly well concentrated
in a small area, which I understand helps it to get established.

If you're using the spreadable Milky Spore and you only want it in
your lawn, I believe you'll have much better luck with a drop spreader
versus a rotary one. Unlike dropping fertilizer, if you overlap or
miss a small area when applying the Milky Spore it won't be a big
deal.

As for the best price, I shopped around and found that Southern States
had the best deals, at least back then. Not sure today.

I don't remember the company which makes the product (something like
St. Joseph's labs, located in VA if I remember correctly) but I called
them and they were very helpful and willing to answer all of my
questions. They said that Milky Spore is very durable and the spores
will survive even the grub killers that were still legal back then!
Contact them and ask them about the Merit, but you should be able to
apply it soon, and then the Milky Spore whenever's the best
application time

Good luck!
Brian