Old 19-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Cindy

Default get rid of heron

We've done several things to keep those buggers away!!
It's an horrid feeling when your pond's been "violated" by those thieving
murderers...and often it's a combination of things rather than only one
trick. First, remember you're smarter than the bird, so you have to learn
how he thinks....good thing birds don't have the internet yet..lol

Herons are usually solo feeders and not too keen on dinner companions .
Putting out a "decoy" of another bird often discourages them from coming
around. A waterbird statue or even one of those funky plastic
flamingos....a bit of craft paing and you can make it look like aged
bronze..

Hang a round ball in a bright colour over the pond...with a black circle on
it...The bird sees it as a big huge eye of an unfamiliar preditor and gets
scared. (old japanese koi farmer at a local country market told me that one)
I adapted that one to my own aesthetics and hung a mirrorerd disco ball and
the little bright reflections seem to confuse them enough to keep them away.

The birds will not land in the water, but prefer to wade into it, A wire or
some obstacle to that interfers with that can help. They do have
commercially available motion detectors for ponds that sound an alarm or
shoot a jet of water when they're disturbed..a websearch on google can help
there.

They also are wary of anyting that's waving or moving around the pond...ie:
windsock, twirler, windchimes, etc...

Good luck, and would love to hear the outcome..
"user" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

Does anybody know the best way to get rid or to prevent Heron coming and
fishing in my pond.

Is there an easy electronic system available on the market or any good
wiring system , but not the net I'm using now.

Thanks in advance for reply.