Old 21-03-2004, 07:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Crocuses on lawn

"Shelley" wrote:

Hi there. While out walking yesterday my husband and I passed by a lawn
that was full of crocus flowers and we just loved it. I was just wondering.
Are there any downfalls to planting these little bulbs in your lawn? Do
they spread like the dickens and we'd eventually have only crocuses? It
just looked so nice and so colorful for the brown-lawn time of year so I had
to ask. Also, if we decide to plant these little bulbs next fall so that we
can have a lawn like this, how deep do you plant them? I visited a number
of websites but nobody said how deep to put the bulbs. Thanks for your
help!

Shelley

I've been wondering abot these myself. I've been thinking they can't
only spread by dividing.

We have WHAT I THINK are crocus on our block. They are growing wild.
A large 10x10 area up by a school is the biggest block, then across
the asphalt street from them is a block of them growing around bushes
at the side of a driveway. One house down is a small clump of them
under a tree and another house down is a few just buy a evergreen
bush. They aren't anywhere else. Half of them are on the sidewalk
patches that just get mowed and are clearly unintentional. They look
like crocus but they are clearly spreading by more methods than just
bulb division, since they appear to be crossing streets, going down
the street without springing up along the way.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener