Old 25-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Roy A. Fletcher

Default squirrels eating trees?

nutso fasst ) wrote:
with editing...
: We've got an overpopulation of fox squirrels in the neighborhood, with at
: least five nests in our backyard alone. The squirrels have always gone after
: our fruit, but in the last few years they have begun stripping entire
: treesful before it fully ripens. We have walnut trees and I don't begrudge
: them walnuts, but the loss of oranges, persimmons, pomegranates, plums and
: apricots ****es me off. Now we have a new problem: they are stripping the
: bark off elm and chinese silk trees and eating the new leaf shoots off the
: apricots. Peaceful coexistence is ending. I'm getting a slingshot and
: looking for squirrel recipes. But I wonder about this bark-eating behavior,
: which I never noticed or heard of before. It's not like these guys are
: starving--they're some of the plumpest squirrels I've ever seen. Is this
: usual behavior?

You could put those little pests up for sale.
English elm has invaded our natural landscapes and is rapidly
replacing snowberry, rose and oregon grape. It is even replacing
Scotch broom and gorse.
We would love to have some of those little critters to strip the bark
and slow down the spread of the elm.
And if they dig up the roots, that's a bonus.

Regards. RAF