Old 25-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Salty Thumb

Default squirrels eating trees?

"nutso fasst" wrote in
om:

We've got an overpopulation of fox squirrels in the neighborhood, with
at least five nests in our backyard alone. The squirrels have always
gone after our fruit, but in the last few years they have begun
stripping entire treesful before it fully ripens. We have walnut trees
and I don't begrudge them walnuts, but the loss of oranges,
persimmons, pomegranates, plums and apricots ****es me off. Now we
have a new problem: they are stripping the bark off elm and chinese
silk trees and eating the new leaf shoots off the apricots. Peaceful
coexistence is ending. I'm getting a slingshot and looking for
squirrel recipes. But I wonder about this bark-eating behavior, which
I never noticed or heard of before. It's not like these guys are
starving--they're some of the plumpest squirrels I've ever seen. Is
this usual behavior?

nf

Theory 1:
Rodents have teeth that are continuely growing. Perhaps they just need
something to gnaw on to avoid getting bucktoothed or having their teeth
grow through their brains, especially after plumping up on the softer
tasty fruits. The apricot shoots are just for garnish or have an
analgesic effect.

Theory 2:
Squirrels have discovered that if a tree is stressed it will put more
energy into nut production and are intentionally stressing the tree by
stripping the bark.

Theory 3:
The squirrels have a serious eating disorder and you should call my
Animal Eating Disorder hotline at 1-900-555-NUTS for a consulation. Per
minute charges may apply.