Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default greenhouse double layer plastic inflating problem

Michael wrote:

I have a 30x96 (44ft ground to ground) greenhouse that has just been
put up. Two layers of plastic were put on and secured with wiggle wire
and channels. I use a 1/70Hp 100cfm fan to inflate, but it just
doesn't seem to inflate very well at all. I can't find any leaks or
anything and am wondering if this blower is large enough or not. I see
other peoples greenhouse inflate so nicely its kinda discouraging.

Michael

Shouldn't take much to keep it inflated if there are no leaks. Even
small leaks are not too important. Mine has a couple of sections between
the roll-up sides and the top where I left off the wiggle wire to create
a channel to inflate the sides. When the wiggle wire is left off the
sides so I can roll them up, they don't inflate at all, but the open 4'
x 1" sections between the top and the sides don't keep the top from
inflating. The pressure between the layers is very small, so the air
flow is not significant.

If it doesn't inflate at all I would suspect a large leak somewhere or
possibly a blockage (loose flap of plastic?) in the inflation tube. The
most important place is the connection between the blower and the double
plastic. Is there a flow control on the blower? I've seen the screen on
the blower get plugged, but that usually happens after a few months of
use.