Old 18-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Wood ash and sawdust as slug deterrent

The message k
from (sw) contains these words:

I gather these may deter slugs used together or separately; I've been
saving some to try. But when do I apply it? After I've sown the seeds
and watered them in, or only after germination begins? The latter seems
more sensible, but I worry about the alkalinity of the wood ash damaging
the seedlings.

When I had an unending supply of woodash, I used to store it bone-dry
, then it's much easier to apply, and retains the valuable potash
fertiliser. I used it to encircle the seed-row (or transplanted
seedlings), run lines of it round the strawberry bed and between the
rows etc. The defensive lines don't touch the plant stems, so no problem
with alkaline damage.

Janet.