Old 22-04-2004, 04:07 PM
martin

Default Help - I've got green slime in my lawn

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:57:45 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

"WullieD00" wrote in
:

Hi all, maybe someone can help? I've googled for similar threads in
the past but can't find anything so apologies if this is a regular
question.

I've just done the first cut of the year and there's a lot of green
slime in one part of the grass. It doesn't smell, is very slippery
and seems to be like a coating on the ground.

I'm just posting to say I don't believe this is an FAQ - in fact, I
don't think I've heard of it here before.

I wonder if it could possibly be slime moulds, as you say the area isn't
particularly badly drained? I have what I think is that in my lawn, but
it is grey rather than green.

Long ago I fell flat on my face on the large area of grass adjacent to
the ford near the Roman Road on the track leading from Goathland to
Pickering. It was almost impossible to stand up, the grass was
covered in some sort of invisible slime. We've been there many times
since but the slime as long gone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/944790.stm - a rather unique and
interesting bunch of organisms.

"Pieces of slime mould, an amoeba-like organism, were enticed through
a 30-square-centimetre (five-square-inch) maze by the prospect of food
at the end of the puzzle."

So how did the slime know that there was food at the end of the maze
slimy intuition?

I'm afraid I have no cures to suggest: I have not tried to get rid of them.

Victoria

-- gardening on a north-facing hill in South-East Cornwall --