Old 28-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Sue

Default Old Sawdust

How much of the "tons" are you planning to work into your soil???? How big
is your garden?

Vegetable or ornamental?

What type of soil you you have to start with? What effects are you
expecting from the sawdust application?

Have you done any soil testing?

I do use sawdust as a mulch on my asparagus. 10 years ago I started the bed
in sandy loam amended with rotted horse manure. Rather than "trench" the
bed, I started from seed and transplanted at the soil level. I then built a
low rock wall around the bed, about a foot high. Mulch has been added
rather "at will" over the course of the years and now the bed is full to the
top of the wall. The mulch has been primarily sawdust, leaf-litter, wood
ashes, coffee grounds, compost when available, and an annual sprinkling of
whatever garden fertilizer I have on hand.

The coarse, friable nature of the mulch makes weeding the asparagus bed in
spring a quick, easy job. Any weeds that encroach are shallow rooted and
easily yanked. The asparagus roots are 14+" below the surface, I'd need a
backhoe to get them out now.

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"kyrustic" wrote in message
I have access to tons of very old saw dust. Would it be ok to work this

into
my garden? What uses would it have

Support American Families, Buy Made In USA!
Kentucky Rustic Barrels
http://www.KentuckyRustic.com