Old 01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
SugarChile

Default Rabbits are eating my pansies

I'm skeptical....my real dog ran about the yard, chased the rabbits, and
left not only hair but other odiferous presents in many places near the
garden, and it didn't seem to bother the rabbits at all.

I read somewhere once that tasty mammals like squirrels and rabbits have a
quick and highly honed fear response, but a short memory for fearsome
situations. They are tasty to predators, so they startle and run quickly,
but the memory fades just as quickly (otherwise they'd be too paralyzed to
do much of anything) and they come back and try again. Just like the rest
of us, they get hungry.

Not sure if it was mentioned in any previous responses, but I find that my
local rabbits prefer the clover in the lawn to almost any other food source.
If they do raid your garden, they prefer small tender plants, so if you can
get your peas and beans to a good size, with pepper spray or fencing,
they'll be less likely to eat them.

Good luck,
Sue

--

"Haubarg" wrote in message
Thanks for all the "Helpful'' replies.
Got a tip from a guy at our local Garden center.
He said: get some dog hair, stuff it in pantyhose
and hang in several places throughout the garden.
Haven't tried it yet, will let you know what happens.
We don't have a dog, if anyone can try this idea before we
get some dog hair please let us all know how it works.

thanks
Rose