Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Can I put store receipts in my compost pile?

Phisherman wrote in
:

On 3 May 2004 14:53:42 -0700, (Baxter) wrote:

I have a lot of shredded store receipts and I am wondering if they can
be thrown into my compost bin. Should I be concerned about the ink, or
the type of paper used for receipts?

Thanks,
Baxter

You can use the store receipts in the compost. It should be soy ink.
I prefer to hang onto my receipts for at least a month. I add coffee
grounds and filter to the compost. You can add shredded B&W newspaper
too.

I think most of the stores around here use or have switched to thermally
printed receipts (pizza hovel, beast buy, office min, c-mart, home despot
to name a few). The plus side is the company doesn't need to ****** around
with ink ribbons or cartridges. The down side is your receipt turns to
crud after a while.

In this product literature about NCR brand Thermal fax paper
http://www.ncr.com/products/supplies...er_product.htm

it says: All fax paper is treated to minimize curling.

but it doesn't say treated with what, or if the same kind of paper that is
used for thermal faxes is used for store receipts.

I stick my shredded receipts in the paper recycling, but if I didn't have
that, I still probably wouldn't compost it. Coffee filters, and newspaper
with black ink, I'm okay with in small quantities.