Old 05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Jane Ransom

Default How can I drain this bog?

In article , Stan The Man
writes
I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

I don't think draining 'through' the clay is a cheap alternative!
What you have to remember is that to drain anything, you have to have
somewhere for it to drain 'to' ie somewhere lower than where the water
is that it can flow to. If your lawn is in a dip, you are stymied as far
as draining it goes

Do what has been suggested and turn it into a bog garden.

We were down near Gloucester last year and saw a garden with a 'sunken'
bog garden. It was wonderful. A large irregular hole in the ground with
a peninsular out into it on which were a table and chairs. The edges
were vertical and walled and there were steps down into it. The bottom
was filled with various tall bog plants so that you just saw the flowers
peeping up over the top. It was wonderful - I want one as well )))))))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.