Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Mike

Default How can I drain this bog?

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
I know it's been wet recently but for weeks water has been lying in
stagnant pools right across my lawn which is on clay soil. I don't know
how thick the clay cap is but I would like to put in some DIY mini bore
holes, maybe using perforated large bamboo canes, to take the surface
water down at least 2 metres. Anyone had any success with something
like this or any other workaround for bogs? I'm looking for a cheap and
cheerful solution if possible rather than a proper and expensive
soakaway. TIA.

Stan

Stan I don't know if this wet area is near a road, but if it is, I would
talk to the BT Telephone Engineers with the lorry with the screw auger on it
they use for drilling a Pole hole, technical jargon, "A Pole Erection Unit".
A nice 'cuppa etc' and they could bore you a hole down to at least 3 metres.
If you 'still' have clay at that depth, the only thing I can come up with is
to go with it and make a bog garden, UNLESS, there is a way of channelling
it out to a lower level which some one else has suggested.

'Drill and soak' or 'channel away'

Mike
--
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Reunion Bracklesham Bay May 21st - 24th