Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Can I put store receipts in my compost pile?

(Baxter) wrote in
m:

Wow that is a detailed reply. Thanks for the link to the NCR spec. It
really looks like lots of my receipts are of the fax paper type. The
reason I want to compost the receipts is that I don't want to put them
in the curb-side recycle bin. I've heard stories about people stealing
them even though they are shredded. Identitiy theft is something I
want to avoid. So I think composting them is a good idea. Looks like I
need to rethink my strategy.

no problem, although if you thought that was detailed, wait till you read
something from paghat. I usually keep my receipts for at least a year for
tax and warranty purposes. I've noticed that sometimes the thermals start
developing some sort of crystals on the surface, so I was curious myself,
but I didn't have the werewithal to look further and find out what exactly
the stuff is.

As for identity theft, I usually shred some extra stuff and mix it up real
good. I don't think store credit card receipts are a big liability,
though. The ones I've gotten recently have only name and last 4 digits of
the card.