Old 10-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Doug Kanter

Default How to keep raccoons away

"Ignoramus15189" wrote in message
In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the

bottom of
the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach

the

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

Galvanized wire screen that you buy in rolls. It's available with openings
of various sizes. It'll be obvious which size to get.

top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of

the
fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

that's upsetting that they can climb.

It's not upsetting to the raccoons. :-)

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your

local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons.

In order to release an animal from a Havahart trap, your hands will be right
ON the trap as you open the end. You didn't say whether you've seen raccoons
on your property during daylight hours, but if you have, it's assumed they
may be rabid. Animal control people may have equipment which allows them to
keep a little more distance during the release.

Besides...if you have to "get weird" to keep from being bitten, it might
mean hurting the animal.

The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

Beats me. I lived in a semi-city neighborhood where we'd only see one or two
per year. No idea what your area is like. Take a walk, look for other
vegetable gardens, and knock on the owners' doors & ask them.

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops
that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive

stems
that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far

your
fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end

up
being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might
consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe

lacerations.
That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

no space for that, unfortunately.

Too bad. It's fun to watch dogs crash into barberry bushes.