Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Doug Kanter

Default How to keep raccoons away

"Max" wrote in message
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

that's upsetting that they can climb.

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and
latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They

are
not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

ahem.. cough [tap tap] THEY HAVE HANDS!!!

.max

They also have a sense of humor. While camping in the Catskills many years
ago, my wife & I watched as some knucklehead set up a screen house, and
inside it, two sets of collapsible plastic shelves onto which he placed what
appeared to be enough snacks for an army. Lots of chips, cookies, cereal,
etc. The ranger warned the dummy about wildlife, but I guess he decided the
ranger didn't know what he was talking about. Around 2:00 AM, there was lots
of crashing & interesting animal sounds. Two raccoons had bitten through the
screen and knocked over the shelves. When the guy got up the nerve to come
out of his tent, the creatures were still inside having a feast, while they
watched the guy run around outside the screen house yelling. The feast
continued for about an hour until the ranger finally came over and urged
them (with a stick) to go elsewhere. He then evicted the camper.