Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Chris Stewart

Default security hedge suggestions

"Nick" wrote in message
m...
Hi there

Am new to all this so please bear with me!!

I'm looking for a hedge that will grow quickly and will be
bushy and dense from ground level up to keep people out.
I've heard about Leylandi but have seen some (I think) that
seem to get bushy only at head height and therefore can let
people walk between the trunks.

I have a stodgy dense wet clay soil like fudge.

Any reccommendations please re. type of plant, spacing, when
to plant and feed, how to prepare the soil and where to
buy in bulk at a good price.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick I planted a selection of hawthorn, blackthorn, sweet brier, hazel -
planted as 18 inch whips - bare rooted, and the hedge has grown fairly
quickly. I'm cutting it back to encourage it to bush. It replaced a
leylandii hedge - the chap I got the whips from recommended growing them
three rows deep and plants in the three rows to be 18 inches - 2 feet apart.
Local stock, locally grown - the hazel had its first catkins this year (4
years old?)
I'm in Aberdeen by the way, so the plants need to be hardy:-)
Chris S