Old 16-05-2004, 12:07 PM

Default co2 reactor: Larger or multiple?

(Paulio629) wrote in message ...
On a big tank with an overflow would it be better to use a very big reactor or
to use multiple reactors?

One good sized one and put more flow in the tank, Your Altums are not
having issues with the flow, I know, I've set up several tanks with
them.

You need to use a spray bar for an even return flow pattern if you
have areas with too much current.

6-8x an hour turnover was not a problem on a 155 gal tank.
You can also have plenty of plants which reduces flow considerably and
also drift wood can as well. Plenty of gental current and flow is
good, strong sections of high flow is not.

Good mixing will improve plant growth and ultimately fish health.
Many people remove the wet dry sections and use a bag filter/s that
use sumps these days and this seems to help also.

Flow pattern for ther return make a difference, have the spray bar
return the water along the back bottom and have the flow rise uop
through all the plants. This keeps the current right into the plants
and the fish from hiding in them.
Make sure to drill an antisiphon hole near the top of the spray bar.
The spray bar along the back bottom edge of the tank also is hidden
since most people plant plants:-)
So this is an ideal place for it and gives the best return for CO2
enrichment.

This method works for very large tanks, eg, 2000-4000 gal planted
tanks, that use a single large reactor. I know, I've built them for
tanks this large.

Regards,
Tom Barr