Old 19-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default What can you grow under rhododendrons in zone 6

"Jim" wrote in message
news
My mother was wondering what kind of plants would grow good under full
sized rhododendrons that are in zone 6. We live in the North East.

Thanks Jim

If the rhodies are limbed up at all so that the entire areas is not in dense
shade, any number of small surface rooted plants can be grown at their base.
A large number of groundcovers will work - vinca, lamium, aegopodium,
pachysandra, hardy cyclamen, Asarum candense or europaeum (hardy wild
ginger), or sweet woodruff. You could also try epimediums, Dicentra formosa
or eximia and one of my favorites, Saxifrage x urbium, aka London Pride.
Slightly further out, you could plant hostas, ferns and other shade lovers
that enjoy the same conditions - heucheras, astilbe and various shade
grasses come to mind. You want to avoid cultivation or serious root
competition immediately at the base of the rhodies.

pam - gardengal