Old 19-05-2004, 04:07 PM
paghat

Default What can you grow under rhododendrons in zone 6

In article , Jim
wrote:

My mother was wondering what kind of plants would grow good under full
sized rhododendrons that are in zone 6. We live in the North East.

Thanks Jim

Some very good suggestions already in the thread, but so far it looks like
no one has mentioned that it is easy to damage roots of rhodies by
planting underneath them. This means mainly that you have to insert small
starts of things & not try to plant, say, a gallon-pot of epimediums
amidst roots. But a three-inch pot can be inserted safely, with care, & as
the underplanting grows, the roots will sort themselves out safely.

Hepaticas and Cyclamen hederifolium do well underneath rhodies. Hardy
geraniums also do well.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"