Old 22-05-2004, 07:02 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default How to get rid of aphids on chives

Lissy wrote:

I have a window box with my herbs in and lately I have noticed black
aphids on my chives (and a few on my coriander). There are so many on
my chives, that they are all turning yellow and dying. Can anyone
suggest a way to get rid of them, yet still making the chives OK to eat
???? I have read that soapy water will help - but I dont really want
to eat chives with detergent on them !!!!

Use dish soap--after all you eat off plates that were washed with
"detergent".

I used a little dish soap mixed in a strained puree of cayenne pepper,
onions & garlic. The smell made me hungry and the garden smelled of
onoin and garlic (a good thing in my opinion). It is one of those
hokey home recipes but it did work for me. Supposedly good for more
than aphids. Used it in an old window-cleaner bottle and sprayed the
plant till it was covered (undersides are important for leafy plants).
It didn't hurt the plants and the aphids were dramatically reduced. I
tried a commercial spray cause the infestation got away from me lattr
in the season and the flowers died--I read too late that you can't use
the spray when it is suny outside--it cooks the plant apparently.

I also found that aphids love nasturtiums. They act as a trap crop.
All my aphids were on the nasturtiums--the rest of the garden was
aphid free. When it got bad I just pulled the nasturtium with all the
aphids. You might want to grow a few about to protect other plants.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener