Old 12-06-2004, 08:03 AM
madgardener

Default What's causing the brown edges on my hosta plant? - Hosta leaf brown edge 01.jpg (0/1)

I concure with you Cereus-validus. I went to McKay's used book store in
Knoxvegas today and found a book on plant diseases and despite that it only
covered what appeared as fruits and vegetable diseases, I found an
anthrachnose disease on something that resembled the markings on the hosta
exactly. A fungicide will help and removal of infected leaves and sent to
the landfill and not composted......(spraying fungicide got rid of
anthrachnose on a dogwood I bought infected with it from the nursery and
despite that it didn't bloom, the leaves didn't horribly shrivel and drop
off like they did last year)
madgardener
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
After seeing the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,
I would go along with Vox and say it is probably Hosta anthracnose:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...-June1502.html
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/focus/per_hosta.html

You humid spring has only aggravated the problem.

"Big Time" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:53:12 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Aha! Now we are getting somewhere.

I look forward to seeing the picture of the plant in question.

I posted on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens called "brown edges on my
hosta plant". This occurs every year only to this variety. There is
another variegated variety next to this one that is fine. Thanks
again.

Seeing the picture would help in being able to determine whether it is

an
environmental cause or a virus problem affecting the plant.

"Big Time" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:29:43 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Exactly where on the freaking planet are you?

What is has the temperature been the past few days?

When is the last time you watered the plants?

Which 'variety" is it that is having the problem? Is it a variegate?

You cannot post pictures to this newsgroup. Try
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens instead.

Ok. I'm located in Dayton, OH. It's been warm and humid but these
plants do this every year regardless of temp or moisture. I don't

know
the variety but the leaves are about 12 inches across and variegated.
the next time I post a picture it will be to the ng you mentioned.
Thanks.

"Big Time" wrote in message
.. .
I have two of these big hosta plants on the north side of my home.
They're beautiful except the edges of the leaves turn brown.

There's
another variety next to them that doesn't have this problem. Is it
problem with this variety? I don't think it's too much sun but

maybe
for this variety it is. Possibly a soil deficiency? Any help is
appreciated. Please see attached picture for example (I don't know

if
I should be posting a picture to this group but not sure how to

show
example otherwise). Thanks for any help!

Big Time

*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*