Old 04-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Doug Kanter

Default Collard greens-something is eating them

Snip off what's left of the damaged stems. Look under the remaining leaves
for bugs, and especially for a coating of grey eggs. If you see the grey
stuff, it's usually NOT on all the leaves. If it's just on a few, cut those
leaves off and put them in your trash can. If many leaves are effected, take
a bowl of soapy water out to the garden. Dip your hands in it and rub the
eggs off the leaves. Wear cheap surgical gloves if you don't like the idea
of touching the eggs. When done, rinse the soap off the plants.

The cabbage family, including collards, contains stuff that may increase
your resistance to various cancers. It's goofy to spray them with chemicals
which may CAUSE cancer or other disorders.

Finally, if your other 4 plants are unaffected by whatever pest is eating
the 5th, you might just want to chalk it up to luck. 20% loss isn't that
bad. And, many bugs are only a problem for a short time each season. Put
some minimal effort into annoying them and they may be gone shortly, anyway.

"DXer" wrote in message
I have about 5 collard green plants in my garden. On only one of them
something is completely eating all of the leaves. Though maybe 15 feet

away
there are more collard green plants and they are fine, no signs at all of

any
problems.
On the one the leaves are completly eaten to the stems.

I do not see any type of bugs on them at all.
What should I look for and or do.

Any ideas
Thank you