Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
David Ross

Default high nitrogen fertiliser

ooha wrote:

What are the most inexpensive sources of chemical fertilizers for high
nitrogen application?

Because my soil and water tend to be alkaline, I usually use
ammonium sulfate, which is acidic. This is a high nitrogen
(21-0-0) fertilizer that is inexpensive (under $5 for 20 lbb).
However, you have to be very careful when using this as it can burn
tender roots and even foliage.

If alkaline soil is not a problem for you, try urea (50-0-0). I
use this on my compost pile (mostly brown matter) because the
sulfur in the ammonium sulfate inhibits the microbes that decompose
dead leaves.

I also use whatever is the "cheapest" lawn fertilizer I can find at
a local building-supply store. By "cheapest" I mean it has the
most amount of nitrogen per dollar, nitrogen being the nutrient
most deficient in my soil. (Take the first number (e.g., the 21 in
21-0-0), use it as a percentage to multiply the total weight of the
bag to get the pounds of nitrogen, and divide the result into the
price to get dollars per pound of nitrogen.) I use this not only
on my lawn but also in my flower and shrub beds to supply both
nitrogen and other nutrients. BE CAREFUL: Do NOT use lawn
fertilizer that contains any kind of weed killer in your flower
beds.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/