Old 15-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Lostin1999

Default Keeping Sturgeon

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" steve at pvl dot co dot uk wrote in message
.. .
I have just put two 16" diamond sturgeon in my 15ft dia x 4ft deep pond
already occupied by 18 good sized koi.

The supplier of the sturgeon was feeding them on floating koi pellets and
the sturgeon were getting their food supply from the surface where it

sticks
to the sides of the pond.

Now my koi, or aptly named pond-pigs, scoff everything in sight -

including
toast-n-marmite, lettuce and of course their 8mm high protein floating
pellets.

My problem is the sturgeon are a bit slow (thick) to get in on the act and

fear that they are not getting enough food.

Last night we threw in about six large slugs which the koi usually spit

out
after tasting. Are slugs sufficient for sturgeon or should I be looking

for
alternative food and alternative feeding methods.?

Steve - Eastbourne U.K.

Hi Steve..

By no means a definative solution....

what i do is i put in a few floating sticks, in one place.. and a little
sinking Sturgeoun food, then put the remaining sturgeon food in a fifferent
place.. while all the other fish are eating the fisrt lot.. as i say far
from perfect, because now the other fish are getting wise..

you really should however be feeding the sturgeon sinking food..

HTH

Lost