Old 30-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Susan Erickson

Default photoperiod

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:08:20 GMT, mg wrote:

I've seen mentioned here that too little lumens/hr can be compensated
for by increased photoperiod. Does anyone have personal experience with
this? I am wondering if there is a limit, do orchids need a "nighttime"
in order to bloom?

I've grown other non-orchid species that grow very well vegetatively
under 24 hr light, but need the light cut back to 12 hours per day in
order to flower.

One of our speakers said when she moved from TX to CO and from
growing outdoors to NO grow area, she put the plants in the
basement and ran the lights almost constantly. I don't remember
if she said 24 hours but I was shocked at the length of time she
had them on. There were a few things that were reluctant
bloomers. But there are things on a 12 hr schedule that can be
reluctant.

SuE