Old 04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Stephen Howard

Default No fruit courgettes

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:36:48 +0000 (UTC), "kathleen syson"
wrote:

Although no expert, I have been successfully gardening produce of a normal
nature - beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes etc for a few years. This year I
thought I'd have a go at courgettes. No greenhouse; but that never bothered
the tomatoes (south facing garden in Derbyshire). I planted five seeds and
lo and behold like topsy they just grew and grew and grew. I gave one
re-potted plant to a new to gardening neighbour with greenhouse; then sat in
my garden and watched as his plant thrived and produced its first flowers.
Kept mine in a shed nice and warm by a huge window plenty of fresh air,
light, love and care etc - they also started to flower; obviously somewhat
later than my neighbour's. He gave me the first two courgettes from his
plant and they were yummy! My flowers open, delight us with their beauty
and then close up and fall off :-( anyone tell me why? can it be possible
that all mine are the wrong sex? this is happening to each of the four
remaining plants even though as plants they look wonderfully healthy - my
neighbour is not giving his anything other than water and the occasional
tomato feed, as I am. Near to tears now!!

I think your putting them in a shed hasn't helped - I sow mine direct
into the soil in early May..they just don't need any protection ( save
from a late frost ).
If they're still in the shed, take them out and place them in a sunny
spot - ensure they're kept well watered, and as they're in pots (
presumably ) you'll have to feed them..and feed them well, as they're
rather big eaters.

Courgettes tend to throw out lots of male flowers initially - closely
followed by the female ( fruiting ) flowers..and it's not uncommon for
the first couple of fruits to fail.
Once they get going they chuck fruits out at a rate of knots.
If you have four plants all fruiting at once you're going to have to
like courgettes!
Pick 'em small!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk