Old 04-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Devoto

Default Bees nesting under my house

I hope this is the right group for this question - I've got a colony of
bees nesting somewhere under the floor in my house (they're using an
airbrick as an entrance). I don't want to call in pest controllers, because
they're not doing any harm to me and my wife (although my slightly dumb
cats have both been stung), but I'd rather they didn't come back next year,
as it's right next to our seating area and our back door.

I freely admit I know nothing about bees, other than they sting cats who
try to catch them, but my question is a) does anybody know roughly when the
colony will die off (I'm in Newcastle if that makes a difference), and b)
if I close the airbrick entrance off with some fine mesh, will it come back
next year (does the queen die or hibernate, I suppose).

Thanks for any help.