Old 04-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Ros Butt

Default No fruit courgettes

I have to add my thoughts to this: I successfully grew my first courgette
last year and had a bumper crop - but this year the high winds a while back
completely devastated my only plant. I managed to aquire a 'spare' one
from my neighbour, which although is a little late, due to being
transplanted is doing well and I have had one fruit and more on the way.
But when we had some further high winds just after transplanting this
little fellow, we protected it with an upturned bucket with the bottom
removed, until the winds had subsided. It would appear that they are a bit
succeptible to being uprooted by severe wind damage, so beware!.

Ros

Wow! what a veritable mass of info in such a short time. Many thanks to
all. Currently scuttling out to shed to put the little fellows outside. As
the leaves seemed so large and tender looking, I thought the wind might
smash them. I've got mountains of insects, bees, hoverflies, ladybirds etc.
they should have a field day.

Incidentally, we adore courgettes, being a great fan of ratatouille (if
that's right spelling)

Again much appreciated thanks

Kathie S
newsb wrote in message ...
In article , kathleen syson
writes
Kept mine in a shed nice and warm by a huge window plenty of fresh air,
light, love and care etc - they also started to flower;

In a shed? All mine have always been more than happy outside (not
greenhouse). If in a shed, its probably that the flowers aren't being
fertilised by visiting insects?

--
regards andyw

Chichester