Old 05-08-2004, 01:11 AM
kathleen syson

Default No fruit courgettes

Hi Franz!

They 'were' in a shed cos I have no greenhouse - said shed has its doors
open around 16 hours a day; so I thought erroneously, that plenty of the old
pollinators would trip in and out willy nilly. some kind respondent
suggested the idea of covering with a bucket. However, as they are
currently around two feel tall (including pot) I would need some size bucket
to protect. My main concern is that the garden is subject to some pretty
wild wizzy winds and I woz worried that they may get trashed; as pointed out
by Ros Butt this is a distinct possibility. Incidentally, surely it should
by what and not who will pollinate! zoom

Franz Heymann wrote in message ...

"kathleen syson" wrote in message
Although no expert, I have been successfully gardening produce of a

normal
nature - beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes etc for a few years. This

year I
thought I'd have a go at courgettes. No greenhouse; but that never

bothered
the tomatoes (south facing garden in Derbyshire). I planted five

seeds and
lo and behold like topsy they just grew and grew and grew. I gave

one
re-potted plant to a new to gardening neighbour with greenhouse;

then sat in
my garden and watched as his plant thrived and produced its first

flowers.
Kept mine in a shed nice and warm by a huge window plenty of fresh

air,
light, love and care etc - they also started to flower; obviously

somewhat
later than my neighbour's. He gave me the first two courgettes from

his
plant and they were yummy! My flowers open, delight us with their

beauty
and then close up and fall off :-( anyone tell me why? can it be

possible
that all mine are the wrong sex? this is happening to each of the

four
remaining plants even though as plants they look wonderfully

healthy - my
neighbour is not giving his anything other than water and the

occasional
tomato feed, as I am. Near to tears now!!

Why are the plants in a shed?
Who is going to pollinate the flowers there?

Franz