Old 05-08-2004, 10:09 AM
bigboard

Default No fruit courgettes

Ros Butt wrote:

I have to add my thoughts to this: I successfully grew my first courgette
last year and had a bumper crop - but this year the high winds a while
back
completely devastated my only plant. I managed to aquire a 'spare' one
from my neighbour, which although is a little late, due to being
transplanted is doing well and I have had one fruit and more on the way.
But when we had some further high winds just after transplanting this
little fellow, we protected it with an upturned bucket with the bottom
removed, until the winds had subsided. It would appear that they are a
bit succeptible to being uprooted by severe wind damage, so beware!.

Ros

I've avoided wind damage by planting my courgettes amongt my sweetcorn like
the Native Americans did. Of course, they did it to keep the racoons off
the corn cobs, but I can safely report that as well as no racoon attacks,
I've had no wind damage and they've been outside since May.

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."