Old 05-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Bees nesting under my house

In article ,
Devoto wrote:
I hope this is the right group for this question - I've got a colony of
bees nesting somewhere under the floor in my house (they're using an
airbrick as an entrance). I don't want to call in pest controllers, because
they're not doing any harm to me and my wife (although my slightly dumb
cats have both been stung), but I'd rather they didn't come back next year,
as it's right next to our seating area and our back door.

I freely admit I know nothing about bees, other than they sting cats who
try to catch them, but my question is a) does anybody know roughly when the
colony will die off (I'm in Newcastle if that makes a difference), and b)
if I close the airbrick entrance off with some fine mesh, will it come back
next year (does the queen die or hibernate, I suppose).

As other people have pointed out, bumble bees usually produce a new
nest and honey bees have a permanent hive. The latter are typically
blackish, with stripes like a wasp.

But why worry, even if they ARE right next to where you sit and walk?
They are extremely reluctant to sting, and we have had a garden party
with marjoram black with bees - the only person who got stung trod
on a bumble been on the clover in the lawn. I really DO mean that
they are the most harmless of residents.

If either of you is allergic to them, then things are a bit different.
My wife is allergic to bees, so we have to be a BIT careful, but we
had them in a chimney for years without problems, and bumble bees
nest in the garden.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.