Old 30-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Growing cherries from stones

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:29:46 GMT, (Sally
Thompson) wrote:

Having just finished a yummy bag of cherries, I wondered if it

would
be possible to grow a cherry tree (or two) from the stones. Has
anyone tried this with success?

I have a cherry that I grew from a pip about 20 years ago. It is
still in a pot, roughly bonsai-ed, so not very big. It has fruited
each year for some years now, and the fruit are tasty, though

usually
only about a dozen and the birds get them before I do. It is self
fertile as there are no other cherry trees around.
I have had peach stones germinate in the compost bin, but never
cherries. You need to keep them protected from mice. I would sow
them in a pot of sand, with wire mesh over, in the greenhouse and

see
what happens.... and be patient.
Good luck

As a child in South Africa, my parents had a house with a small
orchard of peaches, plums and apricots. One of the chores by which I
earned pocket money was to weed the orchard. The weeds were mostly
peach and apricot seedlings from the pips we threw on the ground when
feasting on the fruit from the trees.

Another small town where I was at school was in a fruit growing
district. Peaches and cherries had no local value, except at the
railway station. Passengers would buy fruit at the station and eat it
as the train drew out. The result was rows of peach and cherry trees
on either side of the line, stretching for a few miles in both
directions. The crop from that was enough for the needs of the
townsfolk.

Franz