Old 08-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Insulin Plant

A plant called Costus igneus / Costus Pictus believed to have healing
power of Diabetes Mellitus. Could any one tell me more details about this?

If you do a Google search on Costus and Diabetes, you will find numerous
references. Apparently, extracts of some Costus species tend to lower blood
sugar and perhaps reduce a craving for sweets. This might be useful for
Diabetes type II. However, there is no cure for Diabetes, especially Type I,
and there is no substitute for insulin, which is an animal product or
synthetic, and cannot be ingested orally.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)