Old 20-08-2004, 03:37 PM
John

In article ,
"Bioboffin" wrote:

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
We have just moved to near the Welsh border in Shropshire - and on
moving day and since then we have seen some very scary large flying
insects which I can't identify. ... ... ...

Sounds like an Ichneumon fly.

What about a Birch sawfly (think that's the one I saw near us once (in
Northumberland). can't find any good pics though -- two here

http://www.south-saxons.freeserve.co...s/image_1.html
and
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e...nsects_birch_s
awfly.html

but to be honest neither of those looks like the thing I saw, which
seemed like a 3" long, loudly droning, wasp (but turned out to be
harmless when I found it in the Insects book (which I haven't got with
me here)

John