Old 22-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Lynda Thornton

Default Well-behaved trees for obscuring!

Hi again

We are very overlooked at the back by one house which has a large garden
but has had some trees and hedge cut right down presumably to gain a
view of a hill some way away. Unfortunately it means that 2 large upper
windows are directly looking at our back garden, and from higher up on a
hill which makes it more obvious.

We are planting a holly hedge along the relevant boundary to continue a
partial one that was already there, but this will be a slow grower and
anyway it will not grow to the height we would want to obscure these
windows. We think the best thing will be to put 2 or 3 trees into a
raised lawn which is in front of the holly and a few yards from the
garden boundary. As it is quite raised up I thought that a few well-
behaved and not too rampant evergreens would be the best way to provide
some obscuring without putting huge hedges or other screens in right on
the boundary which is where the holly will be. I would like evergreens
because in the winter any lights on in these windows would be very
obvious so I would want to retain greenery and leaves in front of them.

It's fairly exposed being on a higher area but there are higher trees
and hedges nearby so there is some shelter from the worse winds etc, and
it is south-ish facing so gets plenty of sun. Something fairly fast
growing would be best but with a max height of around 30ft as much
higher would just be too big really and there is the issue of invasive
roots as well. I don't mind the colour really but need something not
too wide-spreading as it might block our access up some steps into the
raised area.

Can anyone suggest good trees for this kind of situation?
--
Lynda Thornton