Old 18-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Phil L

Matthew Durkin wrote:
:: Can I collect the pods from my Fuschias and grow them from seed
:: next spring? They laster outside last winter but I think I was
:: lucky!
:: If not, can I take cuttings, and what is the best way to do this?
:: I'd like more than last year as I'm going to put some in my
:: hanging baskets... Thanks,
:: Matthew

My fuscias have been outside for over ten years! - seriously.
Each November we just cut back the stalks and leave them..every spring they
bounce up...I took 12 smallish twigs round about July and put them into
compost with no rooting powder or anything else and ten of them have took,
two have even flowered..you may have left them a bit late now as it's
getting colder every week...if you've got a heated greenhouse you could try
it...don't know about seeds though.

The ten cuttings I have are for next years baskets, but while we are on the
subject of fuschias, those that are in the beds are getting a bit 'iffy' -
lots of foilage and not many flowers, plus they all seem to be exactly the
same colours(purple/white) when I'm sure they were mixed when new....what I
would like to do is take them all up, renovate the beds and add a few CWT of
free manure, then replant with different coloured ones interspersed..any
clues?

HTH & TIA!