Old 23-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:31:50 GMT, "Sew-Sew Lady"
wrote:

Go out with a flashlight and look at the wood during the night. If there
are wood borers, you'll be able to see them crawling around at night.

I do not know if that would work. If you just have to see them, find
a piece of wood they are working on and pry off the bark. That should
expose their tunnels and possibly one of the larvae. The most common
are called Flathead Borers. There is another group is called the
"Long-horned Beetles" or Cerambycidae, if you are interested in
searching for details.

You might find the adult beetles at night after they emerge using a
flashlight. I think the larvae pretty well restrict themselves to
staying inside the wood. The soft grinding noise you can hear is the
larvae gnawing up the wood. The "sawdust" is actually their
excrement.

Rusty Mase