Old 27-09-2004, 07:29 PM
paghat

In article ,
(jay) wrote:

Some kind of animal has been visited my backyard lawn every night for
a few days. It has digged the grass root out over a large portion of
the lawn and I really need to get rid of it. I do not see any tunnel,
so it is probably not a mole. What are the other types of animals that
may have caused my headache? I will go to home depot tonight to get
traps or repellant. Before I go there, please give me some
recommendataions. Thanks.

Are they cone-shaped holes? If they are, your lawn has a grub infestation
that is far more dangerous to the turf than the skunk who is actually
helping you out by eating the grubs.

If its really "a large portion" as you say, of lawn stripped more
haphazardly rather than conical holes, then that would be the doing of
raccoons, maybe a mom teaching a couple adolescents how to find grubs, so
they could do a lot broader lawn-ripping than a lone skunk. If they come
back every night, your grub infestation must be a doozy.

In either case, treat the grub problem & the rest will take care of
itself. The organic control is the nematode Heterorhabditis bacteriophora,
available from many companies such as:
http://www.goodbug-shop.com/nematodes.htm
But read up on them first; timing is everything.\

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"