Old 13-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Mike Lyle

pied piper wrote:
"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
k...

"pied piper" wrote in message

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
I need to returf my lawn. It's around 6m x 6m .

I have had two quotes so for

Quote 1 - to cut off the top layer and replace with new turf -

£300

Quote 2 - - to rotovate, add a tonne of top soil and lay new

turf
- £180.

Now to me, the second one seems much better! Any thoughts

please?

Lee.

why do either cant u just renovate your existing lawn a top

dresing
some reseeding aeration scarifying some feed etc

Beause it's unven, in a general mess and around a third of it has
very compacted soil which needs a bit more than just aeration!

aeration relieves compaction the top dressing will even the lawn
explain what you mean by needs more than aeration?

Quote 1: I wouldn't cut off the top layer. It's the best bit:
remember that bought-in turf won't have any significant amount of
soil attached, so you need a nice bed for it to root into. This quote
is bad.

Quote 2: A tonne of topsoil will be about one and a quarter cubic
metres. Spread this over 6x6m and you'll get just about enough to
level the lawn if it didn't need much levelling in the first place!
With the rotavator, you won't need any topsoil. If your soil is
pretty dry at the time and isn't a heavy clay, just the rotavator is
enough once you've raked it all out nice and fine. Chuck on some
seed, and the job's done. If it _is_ clay, your work is just begun,
though: so in that case I wouldn't rotavate at all.

Given the rotavator's famous ability to multiply perennial weeds, it
sounds like a bargepole job from here.

If grass is growing on the compacted area, I'd simply aerate a bit,
mow regularly and let nature do the work. Otherwise, sow seed. Treat
the bumps if they're really bad: use them to fill the hollows, of
course, which will make the lawn patchy for a few weeks, but it'll
soon sort itself out.

Mike.