Old 17-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:26:37 -0600, sherwindu wrote:

I am now on my fourth replacement for two Arborvitae (Emerald Green), and
the
general pattern is that they grow for about one season and then start to
die. These
trees are on the West side of the house, but get at least a full half day
of sun. They
were planted correctly and well maintained with adequate water and Miracle
Grow
for evergreens. I'm beginning to suspect the nursery, although they claim
that over
the years, they have used several sources for trees. They usually come
bailed, and
we remove the wrapping for planting. There were formerly Red Cedars
growing in
these locations, one on either side of the house entrance, and they were
mature trees
when we moved in 20 years ago. We took out the Red Cedars about four
years ago
when they gave us problems with Apple Cedar Rust on our apple trees, but
the cedars
were always healthy looking, aside from the rust. It's a real puzzle why
these trees
keep dying. Since taking out the cedars, there are no signs of the Apple
Cedar Rust.

Sherwin D.

Good day Sherwin. Take a look at this page and see if any of these issues
are simular to what your experiencing.

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/
click ornamentals arborvitae

I would also caution against fertilizing them too much / too often.
Arborvitae are really tough plants that really need little attention short
of watering in the hot days of summer.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com