Old 24-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Instep wrote:
Does anyone know what could be eating my pansy flowers? There are
pieces missing from the petals.

Is it vine weevils or birds, we are visited by pigeons.

Ann

Birds, generally, don't eat flowers (OK, bullfinches are an exception) - but
the answer is the same for what eats 85-95% of everything in a garden -
slugs and/or snails...

My grandfather has always told me to always suspect slugs first - they even
eat the leaves of the Brugmansia (sp?) (it will always be known as a Datura
to me - why do they have to b*gger with the names?! Was it first cultivated
by a Mr Brugman(s) or something?) and that's deadly poisonous (though,
unfortunately, not to slugs).

Actually, I'm rather glad it doesn't kill them - I wouldn't like the thought
of a lot of dead thrushes, blackbirds, hedgehogs, etc...